Friday, March 23, 2012

Finn the Human

I'm nearing the end of my list of past crocheted projects! I'll have to get start on a whole bunch of new things soon! I have some items planned but a few of them will take a while. Especially the one I am currently working on. I didn't realize that the safety eyes I ordered online would take 3 weeks! Blehhh... Oh well. At least this gives me some time to give my fingers a break.

A couple weeks ago, when I posted some of my crocheted items on Facebook, my cousin Casey requested a doll. She watches the cartoon, Adventure Time, and wanted either Finn the Human or Jake the Dog. I told her if I could find a good pattern then I would make one for her. I found a good one on Ravelry. It's a very cute doll and the best one I could find because it even came with the backpack. So I got started on it.

When I was in the middle of crocheting Finn, Casey called me. It was so hard not to tell her about the doll but I wanted to keep it a surprise. She mentioned on the phone that if I could find a Finn pattern then she would really like for him to have a backpack too. I had just bought the yarn for the backpack that day so I was having a hard time suppressing my giggles.

When I was nearing the end of the pattern, I noticed a couple things. First, there was a piece of the beige yarn for Finn's skin that was dirty-looking. I tried to snip some of the dark pieces but I was afraid that I would cut too much. I tried bleaching that part but it didn't work. Finally, I sewed over it with clean yarn to cover up the dirty spot and it worked. (Phew!) I didn't want to have to redo the doll just because of one dirty piece of yarn. Secondly, the backpack came out slightly too small for Finn's body. In order for the backpack to fit, I had to sew the straps far apart. It doesn't look too bad but it definitely could've been better.

All in all, Finn came out really good. I changed the pattern a bit by using felt for his face instead of crocheting it. I thought it looked better that way and it also saved me some time. And despite some of the setbacks I had with Finn, Casey loves the Finn doll and recently posted some funny pictures of Finn doing various things, like riding a bike, reading a book about rifles, drinking alcohol and then throwing it up, and of course watching Adventure Time.

Here are the pictures of Finn before I shipped it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment