Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hats!

I got a request to make my grandma some hats! She wanted a newsboy style hat in periwinkle and navy blue with flower accents. I started making the periwinkle one but when I finished, the hat was enormous! It was puffier than it looked in the pictures even though I had the correct gauge measurements and used a smaller crochet hook. Not sure what went wrong. It's not bad but much more bigger than I had imagined it would be so I found a new hat pattern that actually looks a lot more like the style she wears.


(Sorry for the poor picture quality. I didn't have enough lighting!)

I made the blue hat's brim a little shorter and I think it looks a bit better that way but it's a pretty subtle difference.

I omitted the strap and button in the pattern since my grandma wanted a flower on the hats. I also omitted the plastic mesh in the brim. I thought it would be too stiff and without it, the brim still holds up fine. And it makes it more flexible to shape it the way you want it.

This was a really easy pattern and a cute style. Next time I might use a smaller crochet hook. The hats fit a little loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment